Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Targets will re-appear; lost goodwill is harder to win back.

I don't have a history of simply putting up links to articles, although perhaps I should build one seeing as how often I run across interesting articles. But this article expresses very well what I have been thinking about some of our problems in winning the "hearts and minds." Well, maybe I'm not necessarily in favor of adding more troops, it depends on the overall effect in would have and I think in Iraq especially it would have an overall negative effect, but I definitely agree with the article that we are putting too much emphasis on bombing and not enough on protecting civilians. Even if less bombing puts our soldiers in more risk in the short-term it exposes them to less risk in the long term by building good will. And it saves innocent lives.

No comments: