Sunday, April 29, 2007

Progress

I hate the word progressive, it basically means you're claiming history is on your side. However sometimes it does seem like history moves in one direction or another, it might not necessarily move in the direction those who call progressives claim it does (so-called progressives are actually a pretty varied bunch, for example certain free traders and certain protectionists call themselves progressives). But why should history move in one direction however? There are mystic reasons you could summon up. But the physical universe does not play politics. Yes we can struggle against it but the infinity of time gives enough chances for the universe to give a complete disaster, maybe we can dodge one or two but if there's even the slightest chance of a civilization changing disaster it can happen in the infinity of time, in fact if there's even the slightest chance of a human race destroying disaster it can happen in the infinity of time. But anyways if you just want to look short-term it still is hard to argue in progress. After all the most massive killings and some of the most oppressive governments in history were not ancient ones but 20th history ones, and who knows what tommorow will bring. And so I have every reason to be skeptical about progress, and yet... I like people so I hope there is progress, not necessarily progress in the sense politicians use but the bettering of the world, and I believe it is possible because I believe in people, maybe not tommorow but someday. And besides, I don't believe in the infinity of time on this earth, some day I think God will call the universe to an end.

Anyways, I've been hogging the computer too much and I'm at home so that's bad, so take it to your head, take it to your heart and remember Rand rocks.

No comments: