Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Hate to say I told you so, except that song isn't in this post

Well, I bet you thought when I said I was going to use a strategy of posting up music videos to keep myself regular I was lying, I bet instead you thought I was going to eat more fiber. Well, you're wrong, and my colon is still dying ever so slowly. Because I was infinitely busy this day (4 classes in a day, a nice solid block between 9:50 (although I had to leave early since it was at a different campus)-4:40, plus newsbroadcast at the end of the day, plus I left my backpack on a different campus, so I'm not just being a bum here, I mean I'm not saying I'm not being a bum, but I'm not just being a bum, you bums! BUMMMMMS!!!!), I don't have time for a full post, or at least if I want some sleep, which I think it would be a good idea, although you never know, but weighing my options, sleep is good, so let me give you some music + videos, and maybe a little commentary.

1. Here is Gone by the Goo Goo Dolls - From the album Gutterflower - This is a song that's moving, got a great atmosphere, got lots of emotion, complex strong lyrics, multiple moods, and it's excellently executed. All and all, awesome, just awesome. But the song has a special significance to me because of how it reminds me of my second heartbreak, and because it was the first song for which, and to date the only song for which, I did an exposition dealing with various matters. Still even were that not the case, it is an excellent song worthy of being presented.
Commentary on the Lyrics (my commentary, for I am Rand!)

Lyrics

Goo Goo Doll's video - a solid video, a very good one in fact. It manages to move a good distance from the obvious interpretation of the song, or for that matter probably the inspiration for the song, but the video matches the feel of the song excellently. However, my policy for now is one video posted per song, and while this is very good, it's not extraordinary.

Here is Gone AMV (Anime Music Video) - anime - Treasure Planet (not technically an AMV, but I'm going to use that as a general term for music matched with shows/movies cut up. Why? Because this practice really took off with anime, and besides, because I can) - This is a somewhat unexpected combination (I say somewhat because although I would not necessary lump this song with this movie, the movie's soundtrack does include another good, but lesser, Goo Goo Dolls song), but it works, which makes it one of those nice catches you find while wondering around youTube that really deserves spotlighting since it expands your expectations. Besides, Treasure Planet is a highly underrated film, largely I think because it took itself seriously as a film despite being a Disney picture, but in my mind it was quality enough to be taken seriously and I think this AMV helps argue my point.



2. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen - From the Album A Night at the Opera - This song just has so much history that I feel its awesome is just common fact. But if you don't know it's awesome you should be ashamed of yourself. Come on, Bohemian Rhapsody! Queen! Rarely has there been a song which matched ambition with execution. Musically it is highly complex and every piece captures more and more emotions, bringing it all together into something simply amazing. I could probably write a whole post on simply the merits of this song, but I'm doing this music post due to my lack of time, not my abundance of it.
Lyrics

Queen's video - Now I'm not saying this is a bad video, by all means it is a good video, but I never felt it really captured the fullness of the song. The ambition of the song was so great, I feel they didn't have the technology back then to really match it with the right video.

Bohemian Rhapsody's AMV - anime: Neon Genesis Evangelion - Now today's technology includes being able to cut up video and put in new audio. And so now we can get some video worthy of this song. It doesn't hurt matters that the anime used is one of the most awesome and ambitious animes in the history of anime, Neon Genesis Evangelion. At first when watching the video, I thought it was a bit too spot on, matching image to word exactly, but the fact is the author of the video didn't do so causally, rather he or she used the matching to help build an organic feel to the video/song match, which helped them seemlessly blend together into something that naturally captures the human imagination without you even noticing. Also interesting was the choice to use a live show's audio, again I feel this works with the organicness of this AMV. But perhaps it is best to say it is simply awesome.


3. Satellite by POD - From the album Satellite - POD, or Payable on Death (catchy name, no?), was the band that showed me Christian rock does not have to suck. This is a strongly Christian song, but it rocks, completely and utterly. Emotionally powerful, musically charged, lyrically complex, I really need to think of new adjectives to describe songs better, I seem to be tripping over myself a good deal, but that does not diminish how good this song is.
Lyrics

POD's video - The graphics are great, but it's the energy that really makes this video fantastic. A lot of videos are too slow and drag on a song, but this helps capture the spirit of the song and even takes it up a notch.


Satellite's AMV - anime: Bleach - I like Bleach, and I like this video, but overall I'm not thrilled with it. Honestly it is a bit light weight. It just matches a really cool fight with a really good song. It does so decently well, but nothing special. But at this hour of night it is probably the best I could find with this song. Alas.

Unfortunately, this whole matter is taking me longer than I had hoped. Originally I had hoped to put up 5 videos today, but it is extremely late and I must wake up not that early but not that late. And so I must bid adieu with 3. I think my failing was that I overdid it with the commentary, which not only ate up time, but lessened the impact of the posting, perhaps I will curtail that next time, but ah, sleep beckons.

So anyways, take it to your head, take it to your heart, and remember Rand rocks. Goodnight Folks!

No comments: